Out of State Drivers

Out of State Drivers

An out of state driver can apply to two different types of situations. The first is where a traffic ticket has been issued to a resident of another state. The individual has an out of state driver’s license and they received a traffic ticket in New Jersey. If you live out of state and are unable to travel to New Jersey, we can represent you and appear on your behalf by way of affidavit and negotiate a plea with the prosecutor. We will draft an affidavit which resolves the charges, have you execute the affidavit, and will appear and submit the affidavit in resolution of the charges.

The second involves a New Jersey traffic violation occured when a out of state resident was licensed in New Jersey. This means that the person received a traffic summons when they were a New Jersey resident, but moved out of state before resolving the charge.  Ignoring a traffic offense in New Jersey can follow someone who moves to another state via the Division of Motor Vehicles. If the out of state resident’s driving privileges are suspended in New Jersey the suspension can be communicated to Division of Motor Vehicles of other states. The out of state driver is then unable to renew their drivers license in their home state and/or their license is suspended in their home state. In this situation, we can contact the New Jersey municipal court in which your charges are outstanding and determine exactly what is involved. Ignoring a traffic summons can also lead to an outstanding warrant in these instances and retaining an experienced attorney to handle the case can lead to the warrant being withdrawn and we can then appear in the Municipal Court on an out of state driver’s behalf and negotiate a plea. We may also have to appear at the New Jersey Division of Motor Vehicles to restored the clients privileges and assure that they may obtain and/or renew their license in another state.

Only after discussing your case with an attorney with the appropriate experience can you make a well-informed decision about how to fight an out of state charge. If you would like to speak with me, call 1-732-845-3203 or e-mail Ray at rraya@rayalaw.com to set up a consultation.

I represent clients who have received a summons or been arrested on a wide variety of traffic violations, defending them throughout New Jersey.

The Law Offices of Raymond A. Raya, Esq.

Monmouth County Lawyer

Traffic · DUI/DWI · Criminal Defense · Municipal