Juvenile Offenses

Juvenile Offenses

If your child has been charged with a juvenile offense it is critically important to work with an attorney who has extensive knowledge of New Jersey juvenile law. Do not allow your child to answer any questions or be interviewed by police or investigators until an attorney is present. If you would like to speak with Rayalaw,  please contact our law firm to arrange a consultation with a lawyer with the appropriate experience. We handle these cases throughout  New Jersey.

We represent juveniles accused of all types of crimes, including:

Theft crimes, shoplifting, auto theft, robbery, burglary, vandalism, Underage drinking and DUI/DWI, Traffic offenses, Drug possession, Drug distribution, Assault and threat crimes, Internet crime, Sex Crimes such as rape, sexual assault, Disorderly conduct, and Truancy.

Where should a juvenile crime case be heard?

Juvenile cases, those involving offenders under 18 years old, begin in family court. In cases involving serious crimes such as armed robbery, the prosecutor may ask the court to waive the case up to adult criminal court.

Juvenile court is designed to rehabilitate youthful offenders, and the judge may decide to divert the case, sending it to a Juvenile Conference Committee or taking another measure to resolve the case through restitution, community service, job placement, or another rehabilitative measure.

In the criminal court system the emphasis is on punishment, and a conviction may result in the minor being sentenced to a term in an adult prison. However, only in the criminal justice system does the accused have a right to a trial by jury. I will consider all aspects of the case, and the client’s personal goals, before recommending whether to fight a waiver to criminal court, to accept a plea bargain, or to go to trial.

Do convictions disappear when a juvenile turns 18?

A conviction remains on a convicted person’s record for life, unless his or her lawyer formally files a motion to have the record sealed (expunged). We can help you with the process of having your criminal record sealed.

Juvenile crimes and escalation

-If a student strikes a teacher or a police officer, the charge is automatically aggravated assault, rather than simple assault.Graffiti carries penalties including the loss of drivers’ license.

-Juveniles, unlike adults, may be declared delinquent.

-Juveniles accused of marijuana possession face the loss of their drivers’ licenses and mandatory fines.

A youthful error does not need to ruin a life. If you know of a juvenile who has been arrested or charged with any type of crime, remind the person to exercise your right to remain silent. Call  1-732-845-3203 or e-mail our New Jersey law firm to arrange a consultation with a criminal defense attorney at rraya@rayalaw.com. We welcome the opportunity to represent you and your child in New Jersey.

The Law Offices of Raymond A. Raya, Esq.

Monmouth County Lawyer

Traffic · DUI/DWI · Criminal Defense · Municipal